The Republic of Alfama is a massive, socially progressive nation, ruled by Mr Notacat with a fair hand, and renowned for its rum-swilling pirates, museums and concert halls, and national health service. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful population of 1.902 billion Alfamen are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The enormous, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Administration, and Welfare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Belém. The average income tax rate is 95.3%.
The frighteningly efficient Alfaman economy, worth 227 trillion guilders a year, is highly specialized and mostly made up of the Information Technology industry, with significant contributions from Tourism. State-owned companies are reasonably common. Average income is an impressive 119,559 guilders, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The government only invests in infrastructure after a natural disaster, a new guerrilla marketing campaign for tap water involves government agents spraying random citizens with hose water, urban entrepreneurs are busy introducing cockroaches into restaurant kitchens, and science centers and state of the art laboratories are ubiquitous. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Alfama's national animal is the cat, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Alfama's influence in The South Pacific rose from "Hatchling" to "Squire".
- : Alfama relocated from Lazarus to The South Pacific.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, science centers and state of the art laboratories are ubiquitous.
- : Alfama was refounded in Lazarus.
- : Alfama ceased to exist in The South Pacific.
- : Alfama was endorsed by The Federation of Beblahbleblo.
- : Alfama was endorsed by The Green ConstitutionalMonarchy of The Sakhalinsk Empire.
- : Alfama was endorsed by The Republic of Kaleidescooptopia.
- : Alfama was endorsed by The Still Best in TSP of Witchcraft and Sorcery.
- : Alfama was endorsed by The Empire of Rhetiaa.