The Republic of Alfama is a huge, socially progressive nation, renowned for its rum-swilling pirates, museums and concert halls, and ban on automobiles. The compassionate, democratic population of 467 million Alfamen love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The enormous, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Education, Administration, and Welfare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Belém. The average income tax rate is 80.3%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The strong Alfaman economy, worth 29.9 trillion guilders a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector is mostly made up of the Information Technology industry. Average income is 63,968 guilders, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Citizens are allowed to rise or fall based on their own merits, many parents are becoming frustrated with their children's choices in spouses, politicians demand do-overs when they don't agree with election outcomes, and cyber-crime and tin-foil hat sales are both increasing at record rates. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Alfama's national animal is the cat, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, cyber-crime and tin-foil hat sales are both increasing at record rates.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, politicians demand do-overs when they don't agree with election outcomes.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, many parents are becoming frustrated with their children's choices in spouses.
- : Alfama was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Highest Workforce Participation Rate.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, citizens are allowed to rise or fall based on their own merits.
- : Alfama voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Commend Nuremgard".
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, crowds of flag-burning protesters tend to accidentally become crowds of burning protesters.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, politicians "baring all" for the camera isn't always a figure of speech.
- : Following new legislation in Alfama, turning the other cheek is accompanied by a polite letter of complaint.
- : Alfama voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Integrity in Law Enforcement".
Endorsements Received: 134 » Madreia, Amerion, Erinor, Marinho Islands, The Filippinas, Crystal Creation, Wehraboos, Qvait, Anserisa, Pencil Sharpeners 2, Aumeltopia, Volaworand, Land Without Shrimp, Tsunamy, Bawkie, Bleakfoot, PenguinPies, Auphelia, Laamiva, Corgitopiaa, Alaninia, CzechoSlovakishMoravia, Well F, Farengeto, Rabbitz, United States of Vietnam, Tepertopia, Sandaoguo, New Briantown, Myness, West Pastafaria, Drugged Monkeys, 073 039 109 032 080 111 112 112 121, Yeldarbsland, Kedjens, Belschaft, Midand, Purple Hyacinth, Cypheri, Concrete Slab, The United Expanse, Outer Utonixick Gollinican, Kiasu-ism, Qawe, The Worst army of, Barabarom, Phanama, Starsight, Ralphburg, Jehenna, and 84 others.Vincent Field, Bear Connors Paradiso, Avia Lavanda, Catillos, White Bananistan, Xarbraden, Tioloman, Myndia, Noire Denholm, Weburya, Free United Republic, Si-topia, Drazilazi, Gonrati, ChickenDome, Irrepertus, Schmidtjones, The Hare Jordans, East Lodge, Grimsby town, Maerist, Andinla, Not Austria, Steampunk Engineers, Distrotika, The West Valley Mountains, Maneell Medina, Dovive, Bumblegaria, Maximvs Tarvgvs Rex, Utondara, Japanese Federal Republic, Kandorith, Isokenzar, Tsvetania, Fighting Kawi Ninja, A little place for u and me, Nowa Europa, Luddinlande, Nova Montron, Seliyan progressive Islands, South Western Korea, Sthalrim, The Solar System Scope, West Fallows, Darakin, Abarri, Westerlonia, The naked people, Djalia, Native Inhabitants of Antarctica, Efferalt, Eskvenn, Kallassius, Aidenfieeld, Thousand Milos, Centristvill, Vega Naothia, Great Andora, Rebel-topia, Silberne Wache, FreeFishers, Qaweritoyu, Doss Kingly, Namhines, Theorin, Bromsivia, Baltenlands, Coadjuthen, Gecetesse, Linguiniland, HOUSE AHSANUL, Hanguk-Nippon, Nueva Alta California, Esfalsa, Escevola, Sedunn, Cuuldere, New Juan Carlos Land, Jazzfrezia, Ebonhand, Nookington, Terreno Travato, and Merevane.