The Kingdom of Niot is a huge, safe nation, renowned for its compulsory military service, public floggings, and keen interest in outer space. The hard-nosed, cynical population of 392 million Niotians are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.
The enormous, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Education, Law & Order, and Welfare. The average income tax rate is 67.9%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The Niotian economy, worth 18.9 trillion Nots a year, is dominated by the Trout Farming industry, with significant contributions from Information Technology, Arms Manufacturing, and Automobile Manufacturing. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 48,245 Nots, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.2 times as much as the poorest.
Employers are finding it hard to screen candidates now that everyone gets A grades in their exams, people talk about things being better when men were men, surrealist houses shaped like mushrooms and volcanoes dominate the wealthiest neighborhoods, and the government is notorious for leaving citizens with almost nothing from their inheritance. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a very well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Niot's national animal is the Turtle, which frolics freely in the nation's sparkling oceans.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Niot resigned from the World Assembly.
- : Niot was endorsed by The Deleted On Sight of Madjack.
- : Niot was endorsed by The Nonsensical Absurdity of Abject Ludicrosity.
- : Niot was endorsed by The Empire of The New Cordian Empire.
- : Niot was endorsed by The Lucky Question Mark﹖ of Makdon.
- : Niot was endorsed by The Dystopian nation of New Jamgra.
- : Niot was endorsed by The Grand and Most Serene Duchy of Unimaginable Doom.
- : Niot was endorsed by The Great European Union of Freedomanica.
- : Niot's influence in The North Pacific rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Niot was endorsed by The Kingdom of Damsmel.