The Republic of Oaks 158 is a huge, cultured nation, remarkable for its frequent executions, public floggings, and feral children. The hard-nosed, democratic population of 597 million Oaks 158ians enjoy a sensible mix of personal and economic freedoms, while the political process is open and the people's right to vote held sacrosanct.
The enormous government juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Defense, and Law & Order. The average income tax rate is 65.5%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The Oaks 158ian economy, worth 22.5 trillion planets a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, quite specialized black market in Door-to-door Insurance Sales, Beef-Based Agriculture, Furniture Restoration, and Soda Sales. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 37,757 planets, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 2.0 times as much as the poorest.
Oaks 158ians submit requests for a date in writing with an enclosed RSVP card, major cities shut down as their local sports team takes to the field every day, statues of famous citizens are erected or demolished on a purely partisan basis, and an iron curtain has descended around the nation. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Oaks 158's national animal is the falcon, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Oaks 158's influence in The free society of Tic Tacs fell from "Page" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Oaks 158's influence in The free society of Tic Tacs fell from "Hermit" to "Page".
- : Oaks 158's influence in The free society of Tic Tacs rose from "Zero" to "Hermit".
- : Oaks 158 relocated from Devide by Zero to The free society of Tic Tacs.
- : Oaks 158's influence in Devide by Zero rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Oaks 158's influence in Devide by Zero rose from "Zero" to "Newcomer".
- : Oaks 158 relocated from Guantanamo Shore to Devide by Zero.
- : Oaks 158 proposed constructing embassies between Guantanamo Shore and Plum Island.
- : Oaks 158 altered the regional flag of Guantanamo Shore.
- : Oaks 158 added the tag "Invader" to Guantanamo Shore.