The Commonwealth of Portugaela is a huge, cultured nation, renowned for its museums and concert halls, smutty television, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, devout population of 495 million Portugaelans enjoy some of the most opulent lifestyles in the region, unless they are unemployed or working-class, in which case they are variously starving to death or crippled by easily preventable diseases.
The tiny, liberal government juggles the competing demands of Spirituality, Healthcare, and Law & Order. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 6.5%.
The strong Portugaelan economy, worth 35.7 trillion Euros a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Soda Sales industry, with major contributions from Tourism, Pizza Delivery, and Information Technology. Average income is 72,091 Euros, with the richest citizens earning 9.2 times as much as the poorest.
Group photos of the members of parliament are often mistaken for family reunions, the nation's prisons are touted as the best weight loss programs money can't buy, it is illegal for a parent to tell a child to stop eating their boogers, and citizens need a magnifying glass and color chart to distinguish between nearly identical brand labels. Crime, especially youth-related, is a serious problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Portugaela's national animal is the Cardinal.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Portugaela was endorsed by The Federal Republic of BuciLand.
- : Portugaela was endorsed by The ENDORSE LIBERTANNY of The Atlae Isles.
- : Portugaela was endorsed by The Weed-choked lawn of A mean old man.
- : Portugaela was endorsed by The Libertanny-Endorsing Vizier of Tretrid.
- : Portugaela was endorsed by The Holy Santa EndorseLIBERTANNY of Evrigenis.
- : Portugaela was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Largest Agricultural Sector.
- : Portugaela was endorsed by The Matriarchy of Flying Snow.
- : Following new legislation in Portugaela, citizens need a magnifying glass and color chart to distinguish between nearly identical brand labels.
- : Portugaela was endorsed by The Constitutional Monarchy of Technocratic Tagalog.
- : Portugaela was endorsed by The Queen Of the Waltz of Feu de Glace.
Endorsements Received: 23 » VW53Aland, Liberstankonia, H-Zhena, Zukchiva, Asendavia, Brotherland, Stellar Colonies, Axdel, Libertanny, Todd McCloud, Dragons Blood, Modra, The Three States of Fortuna, Peoples Republic of GG, The Eternal Land of Jong, Mays Austrian Nation, Oofery, Technocratic Tagalog, Evrigenis, Tretrid, A mean old man, The Atlae Isles, and BuciLand.