The Queendom of Sombrero Island is a colossal, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its irreverence towards religion, absence of drug laws, and spontaneously combusting cars. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 6.752 billion Sombrero Islandians live in a state of perpetual fear, as a complete breakdown of social order has led to the rise of order through biker gangs.
The tiny, liberal, pro-business, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Healthcare, and Industry. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 5.9%.
The strong Sombrero Islandian economy, worth 422 trillion betales a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Trout Farming industry, with significant contributions from Beef-Based Agriculture, Information Technology, and Book Publishing. Average income is 62,511 betales, but there is a vast disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 606,092 per year while the poor average 311, a ratio of 1,948 to 1.
Voting is voluntary. Crime is a serious problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Sombrero Island's national animal is the deer, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Sombrero Island was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Armed.
- : Sombrero Island was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Rudest Citizens.
- : Sombrero Island agreed to construct embassies between Sombrero Island and Malmo.
- : Sombrero Island agreed to construct embassies between Sombrero Island and Tulsa.
- : Sombrero Island's influence in Sombrero Island rose from "Zero" to "Hermit".
- : Sombrero Island established the regional flag of Sombrero Island.
- : Sombrero Island lodged a message on the Sombrero Island Regional Message Board.
- : Sombrero Island relocated from Purgatory to Sombrero Island.
- : Sombrero Island founded the region Sombrero Island.
- : Sombrero Island's influence in Purgatory rose from "Shoeshiner" to "Page".