by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics




by The Federal Republic of Nacrad. . 267 reads.

Nacrad-Kongsi War

The [b]Nacrad-Kongsi War[/b] (24 May 2020 - 2 Oct 2020) is a conflict between the Federal Republic of Nacrad and the People's Republic of Kongsi. 


[b]Commanders and Leaders[/b]
Nacrad: Matthew Y. Smith (Head of State)
Jonathan Stone (Head of Government)
Thomas Chun-Yu Chan (Commander of the III Corps)
Albert Kin-Kwok Chan(Commander of the IV Corps)
Chad Yiu-Cho Lee (Commander of the 3rd Air Force Division)

Kongsi: Zhang Qianjin (Head of State and Government)
Zhang Datong (Head of the military)
Chen Jianguo (General commander of the Kongsinese army)
Zhao Shengli (Commander of Red 1st Army and Ganzhou Army) 
Chen Wenchang (Commander of Red 2nd Army and Nanchang Army) 
Zhang Chongwu (Commander of Red 3rd Army)
Liang Kaixuan (Commander of Kongsinese Air Force) 

[b]Units involved[/b]
Nacrad: III Corps, IV Corps, 3rd Air Force Division
Kongsi: Red 1st Army, Red 2nd Army, Red 3rd Army, Nanchang Army (improvised), Ganzhou Army (improvised)

[b]Military Strength[/b]
[list]Total: 450,000 men
20 Divisions
2,400 tanks
230 Aircraft
2,600 mobile artillery pieces[/list]

[list]Total: 1,450,000+ men
42+ Divisions
130 tanks
120 aircraft
1,550 artillery pieces[/list]

Nacrad: 43,000 (15,900 killed, 27,100 wounded)
Kongsi: 877,050 (33,500 killed, 238,500 wounded, 605,050 captured)

Total Nacradian victory, Kongsi reorganised as the Republic of Kongsi under [i]de facto[/i] Nacradian control

On 21 May 2020, Kongsinese forces has begun conducting border raids against Nacrad, due to long-standing disagreements between the two nations. In total, Kongsinese forces has conducted 25 raids between the First Instow Checkpoint Raid and the declaration of war. In the morning of 23 May, it had also issued an ultimatum to Nacrad, demanding the cessation of nearly 20% of Nacrad's territories.

In response, the government of Nacrad had issued an ultimatum towards Kongsi, demanding a total cessation of all hostilities, as well as a formal apology and reparations of USD$200,000, which was later increased to USD$450,000 after further raids later that day. 

At 0900 on 24 May, the ultimatum against Kongsi had expired, and the parties declared war bilaterally on each other at 1030 on that day.

[b]Events during the war[/b]
The war started officially at 1030 on 24 May, as Operation Incursion had been launched. At that moment, the III Corps and IV Corps launched a general frontal assault against the ill-equipped Kongsinese army from the states of Oswain, Udrain and Athery. 

Within a day, much of the borderlands in Kongsi has fallen, as the cities of Shangrao and Yingtan had been captured due to the movement of forces to the south of the nation in anticipation of an exclusively southern attack. The Nacradian forces had advanced no less than 50 km (31 miles) on the first day in north eastern Jiangxi, before a relief force can be sent to the Nacradian army. 

The Nacradians were chased across the Xin River after the Kongsinese forces had arrived. The Nacradians, however, were unable to be expelled further from the nation. A more comprehensive defence line was being set up along the Fuhe River and Gan River, however, the defences at the Fuhe River were overrun due to the fast advance of the Nacradian forces along the Xin River, the Nacradians were able to cross the Fuhe River and enter the Battle of Fuzhou.

[u]Battle of Fuzhou[/u]
Fuzhou is situated across the Fuhe River, but is still close to the border nonetheless. However, the Nacradian offense was slowed down, and the Nacradian forces did not begin to engage the city until the second day. 

Fuzhou was fortified even before the start of the war, unlike Shangrao. The Nacradians arrived at the Fuhe River, across Fuzhou city proper, at 07:30 on 25 May to find the only crossing blown up and the Kongsinese forces firing upon Nacradian positions. The Nacradians, hoping for the quick capture of Fuzhou, attacked with artillery and airstrikes. The local garrison consisting of the Red 2nd Army put up fierce resistance. The two sides engaged in a 2-week-long battle before the Kongsinese retreat.

[u]Siege of Ganzhou[/u]
Over the next 2 weeks, the Nacradian III Corps pushed into the Prefecture of Ganzhou, and met the heaviest resistance in the entire war, second only to the Battles of Nanchang, as the Red 1st Army attempted a surprise attack into Oswain via Ganzhou, but were ultimately unsuccessful. In the east, elements of both the III Corps and the IV Corps also pushed upon the Red 1st Army, who were facing encirclement, as the Nacradian IV Corps attacked via Ruijin. 

On 2 June, the Nacradian III and IV Corps captured Yudu and Xinguo counties, both about 10 km from Ganzhou proper. Nacradian IV Corps then attempted, and succeeded, in breaking the line of communication between Ganzhou and Ji'an, by attacking the highway lying between them. 

The Red 1st Army, now threatened with encirclement, began evacuating via the northwest of the salient. However, due to the Nacradian Blitzkrieg-like tactics, few were able to escape in time. About half of the Red 1st Army is now trapped in Ganzhou, with little supplies and dwindling fuel, as the pocket was sealed on 10 June. 

While Ganzhou was besieged, the Red 1st Army mobilised the local population, and formed the Ganzhou Army. The Kongsi Air Force was still able to operate using Ganzhou Huangjin Airport, though not for long due to the lack of fuel supplies, and the planes themselves being shot down. In the end, only 2 planes of the original 12 were able to survive.

The Ganzhou garrison surrendered on 30 July.

[u]Battle of Ji'an[/u]
While the Siege of Ganzhou was happening, elements of the IV Corps also attacked the City of Ji'an. This would be the start of total Kongsinese collapse, as by this point the Nacradians were able to straddle both sides of the Gan River. The local garrison, consisting of the remaining elements of the Red 1st Army and several regiments of the Red 2nd Army, put up fierce defence, but eventually surrendered on 15 June, after almost a week of fierce battle.

After the fall of Ji'an, the Kongsi People's Government began drawing up plans to defend Nanchang, and the evacuation to the northeast of the nation. It was decided to evacuate most military functions to Jingdezhen, which is the northeasternmost major city, while the civil functions remained in Nanchang. However, this plan was not carried out due to various complications regarding the evacuation.

[u]Battle of Yichun-Xinyu[/u]
The Battle of Yichun-Xinyu was fought over 22 June to 30 June. The Nacradian III Corps, following the defeat in Ji'an, advanced the 100 km quickly over the next 5 days, eventually arriving at the Yuanshui River to find the Kongsi Revolutionary Army entrenched.

Frustrated, the III Corps called in heavy airstrikes and artillery strikes, in attempt to capture the cities quickly. A bridgehead is quickly captured across the river near Fenyi County, approximately in between Yichun and Xinyu, in the afternoon of 23 June. 

Over the next week, the Yichun-Xinyu line is then broken, as the Kongsi garrison fled to Nanchang in preparation of the defence of their capital.

[u]Battle of Jingdezhen[/u]

The Battle of Jingdezhen was conducted by the 40th and 49th Infantry Divisions, along with elements of the 39th and 42nd Armoured Divisions. They launched an assault out of Shangrao and Yingtan on 14 July, as the rest of the forces attacked Nanchang. During this battle, the lines advanced no less than 60 km. Jingdezhen was encircled on 19 July, whereby the city is then subject to heavy air raids and artillery bombing. Jingdezhen's garrison surrendered on 31 July, rendering the rest of the Red 3rd Army disorganised and confused. The Red 3rd Army had dissolved largely into militias or had been placed under the Red 2nd Army.

[u]First Battle of Nanchang[/u]
The Nacradian III and IV Corps, on 14 July, were able to strike Nanchang, where much of the Red 2nd Army was stationed, during which time it had had time to dig an extensive trench system around Nanchang, along with anti-aircraft guns, and had mobilised the local population to form the Nanchang Army. 

On 14 July, the III Corps began strike on the southwest of the city, on portions between the Poyang Lake and the west of the Gan River. It was met with very heavy resistance, while the Kongsi Air Force conducted heavy raids on Nacradian positions, and sabotaged all crossings of the Gan River.

On 15 July, the IV Corps also began strike of the city, between the east bank of the Gan River and Poyang Lake. The Nanchang Army and the Red 2nd Army fought back relentlessly, as the Red 3rd Army attacked the Nacradian positions.

On 22 August, it was decided to withdraw from Nanchang, and try again at a later date.

The First Battle of Nanchang is the first and only defeat Nacrad had suffered during this war.

[u]Battle of Poyang[/u]
The Battle of Poyang is the Nacradian attempt at establishing a coast on the Poyang Lake, thereby cutting off the two remaining portions of Kongsi. 

On 23 August, the IV Corps of Nacrad attacked across the River Xin, and began its fast advance northwards towards the counties of Yugan and Poyang, engaging with elements of the Red 3rd Army. On 1 September, the forces to the south, which had withdrawn from the First Battle of Nanchang, also attacked, closing off 3 regiments of the Kongsi Revolutionary Army, and destroying them. 

On 1 September, the Nacradian forces has secured the objectives, though the two portions are still connected with the docks at Duchang County to the north.

[u]Duchang Air Raid[/u]
The Duchang Air Raid is conducted by the 3rd Air Force Division, aimed at destroying the dock and bridge facilities at Duchang, the only remaining facility. It was met with minimal resistance, as Duchang is considered to be the rear areas of Kongsi. It destroyed the connection between the east and west portions, trapping the Red 3rd Army in the northeastern portion.

[u]Second Battle of Nanchang[/u]
On 5 September, the Nacradian Army was ready to attack Nanchang again. The III Corps attacked the western portion of Nanchang, while the IV Corps attacked the eastern portion. The defending army, consisting of the Red 2nd Army and the Nanchang Army, put up heavy resistance. 

The defending forces utilised the remaining fuel reserves to operate the Kongsi Air Force, which at this time consisted of only 22 planes, to raid and harass the Nacradian positions. However, on 29 September, the air raids stopped, as the fuel reserves ran dry.

On 15 September, the first instance of cannibalism was documented, indicating the severe lack of food.

On 23 September, the food reserves in the city was estimated to last the populace for "at most 3 days", although the food reserves likely ran dry at least 2 weeks ago.

At 16:30, 2 October, the leader of Kongsi Mr. Zhang Qianjin ordered the garrison to cease combat, and exited the city under a white flag at 17:05 to surrender to the Nacradian Armed Forces, marking the end and Nacradian victory of this war.

On the next day, all remaining forces of the Kongsi Revolutionary Army reported to the Nacradian Armed Forces and surrendered.

Nacradian forces held a victory parade in Riverfort on 2 December 2020, in which Kongsinese commanders and leaders attended. Reportedly, Matthew Y. Smith said "One does not attack a more technologically advanced neighbour by numbers alone", as Zhang Qianjin also esteemed the Nacradian military highly for its humanitarian treatment of POWs and its technological advancement.

The initial promise that the soldiers would be "back for Thanksgiving" (3rd Monday of October) is ultimately fulfilled, though a contingent voluntarily remained for peacekeeping. 

Zhang Qianjin was sentenced to life in jail, though he was pardoned to a house arrest in Nanchang.
Zhang Datong was sentenced to life in prison for war crimes, namely the killing of civilians.
Kongsi was reformed into the Republic of Kongsi, which is in practice a Nacradian puppet.

[b]In popular culture[/b]
This war is the inspiration of the movie [i]Sic Semper Tyrannis 4: Modern War[/i] and a video game of the same name.