by Max Barry

Latest Forum Topics

Advertisement

The Western Isles Board

Search

Search

[+] Advanced...

Author:

Region:

Sort:

«12. . .22,57722,57822,57922,58022,58122,58222,583. . .22,64722,648»

Corindia wrote:Maybe I'll set up some corindi companies using it for... Other uses

Breaking news Corindi porn industry skyrockets.

Remodio wrote:My idea is to have essentially to have four political parties that end up ruling the legislative body:
A minarchist-esque group
A syndacalist-esque group
A nationalist/communist typa thing kinda like DPRK(current party in one party system)
An ultranationalist hoppean/pinochet typa party

Still a big WIP but I have an idea at least

The DPRK/WPK esque party would be loved by Aprosia.

I don't know would you continue to have a single ruling party or not but you could look into the possibility of having a Supreme Soviet style system or a East Bloc/China esque popular front.

The Supreme Soviet, during Brežnev's tenure for example, actually had a considerable amount of independent politicians; 425 from a total of 1500 seats. However, they were all pretty much subservient to the CPSU. There could be some neat features to this, Supreme Soviet members needed to be elected by more than 50% of the constituents voters, but there were cases where the public simply did not vote as a way to protest.

The popular front, in East Bloc countries and in China, is basically a similar system but with other parties that are legally allowed to participate in politics, but have to recognize the leadership of the leading party.

Havalland wrote:Breaking news Corindi porn industry skyrockets.

Without a doubt the entirety of TWI are gonna order those VR sets soon

Ostlani wrote:Without a doubt the entirety of TWI are gonna order those VR sets soon

Did I hear... PORN?

*banned*

New Aapelistan wrote:Did I hear... PORN?

*banned*

POЯN

It's a band. I think.

Nhoor wrote:POЯN

It's a band. I think.

Oh.

That too is banned /s

Hey guys new here. Decided to try to come back to nation states after two years. Can’t wait to meet y’all :)

Visois wrote:Hey guys new here. Decided to try to come back to nation states after two years. Can’t wait to meet y’all :)

Hi and welcome! If you want to become active here, the following information may be useful. If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Welcome!

LinkHello there. Thanks for joining the Western Isles!

You must be wondering what you can do here and how, what is expected of you and how to start role-playing... I'll try to answer these questions in this dispatch.

First of all, if you haven't done so already - go ahead and introduce yourself on our regional message board (RMB). You can post things like what country you're from, if you're new to NationStates or to role-playing (RP), what kind of a nation you want to create, and anything else you'd like to share.

About the Region

Where do we communicate?

  • IC communication (in-character, meaning role-playing) is done on the NationStates forums

  • OOC communication (out-of-character, from general chatting to world-building) is done on the RMB

  • Telegrams are usually OOC

We don't have offsite forums, so you don't have to worry about missing something else.

How does this region work?

We have a democratically elected government (you can run for office) which is in-charge of several aspects of the region:

  • Facilitating RP and promoting world-building and cooperation in the region

  • Managing the region in terms of regional rules and standards

  • Recruiting new players and managing our embassies with other regions

To really understand how we do, you can read through the following dispatches when you get a chance:

  • The Constitution - It details the responsibilities of the various government officers and the Founder, as well as the processes of legislation and elections in the region. Of course, there's no need to remember it all, but it's there if you need it.

  • The Regional Rules and Conduct - That's just... The rules. You know, don't be a jerk to others, don't spam the RMB, and so on. The map rules are also there, but we'll get to that in a minute.

  • The Regional information dispatch - Contains current and updating information about the region (recent stats of the region, weekly updates, important daily events, etc.).

  • The Regional Links dispatch - Contains useful links to other regional guides or interesting dispatches (list of alliances, the regional militia, World Assembly guide, guides on RP, and more).

This is confusing... Can anyone help?

Of course, most of us can. If you still have questions, you can do either of the following:

Your address for questions regarding specific RP rules (can this be done? can I take over that? can I have that size? etc.) is the Sec. of RP (Thuzbekistan). Feel free to tag him in your RMB post or to TG him.

About Role-Playing in the Region

How do I get a spot on the map?

Our regional map is the basis of our RP, and it is therefore reserved for nations who actively engage in RP or plan to do so. Before asking a spot, please first make sure you have at least one nation-building factbook (relating to some aspect of your nation) and at least one forum post.

To be added to the map, send Vancouvia a telegram with answers to several simple questions - they are listed under "Map Rules" in the Regional Rules and Conduct dispatch. In order to stay on the map, you need to be relatively active in regional RP. nation-building dispatches or RP posts in the forums at least once week or so, should be enough.

How do I develop my nation?

Here in this region we don't use NationStates stats at all. Population, economic status, main industries, defense budget - All of those things are up to you, the player, to decide! Make factbooks or dispatches describing your nation's culture, history, religion, government, budget, climate, military, science, industries, people, corporations, trade deals, and anything else you can think of.

Are there limitations?

RP in this region is based on realism and modern-technology, so keep your nation in those limits. There are a few other guidelines we have in place to keep things balanced, for example:

If you're having trouble coming up with realistic numbers, just search Wikipedia for information on the real-world countries your nation is based on (or related to), and use that. Remember that this is an island region, and that our nations are not the largest and richest in the world - so, for instence, don't take the size and scope of the US' armed forces as an example, and don't take China's economy as an example. Try to find a realistic balance that would fit an island nation. Tip: There are no "perfect" nations - all nations have their strengths and their weaknesses. The Sec. of Role-play (Thuzbekistan) or other members of the region can help you design your nation as well.

Other than that - the limit is your own creativity. Feel free to look around and read other nations' factbooks and dispatches for ideas. See for example:

For other interesting, creative, or highly informative factbooks by members of the region, check out The Western Isles Factbook Spotlight. Take some time to look around, get to know the other players and the region as a whole, and develop your nation. I recommend doing that before getting into RP.

Alright, what now? Where do I RP?

You can get to the region's ongoing RPs and events in either of the following ways:

  • Through the "Ongoing Events and Perpetual RPs" in the region's main page

  • Through the Active RPs of the Western Isles dispatch, which contains the region's RPs

As a start, I recommend reading the recent posts in the regional news thread and posting some of your own, before moving on to more complex RPs. This would allow players of the region to get acquainted with your nation.

And of course - you can always think of your own idea for an RP based on or in your nation, and recruit or interest others to join. I also recommend checking out the region's Alliances and Trade Agreements dispatch, where you might find other nations with similar interests and players to RP with; and the region's Marketplace, where you might find storefronts and corporations seeking to expand.

NS is full of useful guides for the technical or procedural aspect or RPing. This one, for example, is short and to the point. I've also published one myself, about RPing in our region. There are many more RP guides and tip dispatches or threads around the site - feel free to explore and learn more about RPing.

As always, for any question on RPing in the region or in general, feel free to ask on the RMB or send a personal TG to the Sec. of RP or any of the active members.

Read factbook

As the new Secretary of Recruitment, here is the new Office of Recruitment home factbook:


.

.
The Western Isles Office of Recruitment
Home Portal


Home | Committee | Schedule | Donate | How to Help | Government | Helpful Links | Archives

"There shall be a Secretary of Recruitment, who shall be responsible for recruiting and attracting new and suitable nations to the region, welcoming new nations, facilitating their assimilation into the region and ensuring their progression; and promoting the happiness, well-being, and harmony of member nations."

- from the Constitution of The Western isles.


The Office of Recruitment is a team of members of the region who are dedicated to recruiting nations to The Western Isles. The office is a vital part of the region as it ensures there is a steady flow of new members of the region and it overlooks several other regional factors to ensure new members feel the region is accessible to them.

The Office of Recruitment is currently led by Remodio.

This is the official list of the members of the Committee for Recruitment. Our job is to recruit and maintain new members of the region, ensuring that they feel welcomed. If you have any enquiries or problems that you would like to discuss, please contact our members. To find out more, read the 'Secretary of Recruitment' section in the Constitution or ask any of us in the committee.

As a key part of the growth of the Western Isles, we are always looking for members of the region to give a better insight or ideas to recruit. If you think you can bring an interesting contribution to the office, feel free to telegram the Secretary of Recruitment.


Job title

Title holder

Job description

Compose Telegram

Secretary of Recruitment

Remodio

Represents the Office in the regional government, maintains the Office's factbooks, maintains the recruitment campaign, oversees the Office, and reaches out to members of the Western Isles for feedback in order for the region to grow.

Telegram Link

Officer for Advertising

*to be filled*

Actively seeks to promote the region in other areas such as the forums, or other regions.

Telegram Link

Officer for Communications & Engagement

*to be filled*

Actively maintains contact with new players, such as introduction to the map and referral to guides to join roleplay. Additionally, this officer ensures that there are enough dispatches to inform new players of the rules, and regulations of the region, as well as their opportunities.

Telegram Link

Ambassador

*to be filled*

Commonly dialogues with the Secretary of Information and Secretary of Roleplay to further assist the overall recruitment process.

Telegram Link

To keep the Office of Recruitment active, it adheres to the schedule below.


What

When

Telegram meeting with committee members

Every month, before the publishing of the recruitment report.

Review of the Bi-Weekly Report

Coinciding with the Bi-Weekly Report

Publishing of the Recruitment Report

Every month, on the first day of the next month

Mass telegrams are not free. To effectively recruit more members to the region by the use of mass telegrams, we need donations. If you could spare money to support the region, please follow these simple steps.

If you donate, please telegram the Secretary of Recruitment so that they may add your name to the list below!


How to Donate Stamps

  • STEP 1: Go to the NationStates Store.

  • STEP 2: Click "Gift Options" at the top.

  • STEP 3: A box will appear. Click the box and type in: Remodio. Click "Select"

  • STEP 4: Make sure that my nation's flag pops up and a box has appeared at the top.

  • STEP 5: Scroll down to the bottom to where it says "Telegram Stamps". Type in the number of stamps you wish to give. It's 1000 for $1, 5000 for $5 and so on. Even 1000 is a huge help, but if you can afford more that's great. Now press "Update". Make sure the cost accurately reflects how much you wish to donate.

  • STEP 6: Either pay with Paypal or "Buy with Card". Complete the transaction and you should get a confirmation receipt.

Nation

Amount Donated

Atnaia

20,000

Alteran Republics

20,000

Balnik

10,000

Bitely

1,000

Ostehaar

10,000

Ostehaar

10,000

Ostehaar

10,000

Pacific peace union

10,000

Pacific peace union

5,000

Ostehaar

10,000

Ostehaar

10,000

Ostehaar

10,000

Ostehaar

10,000

Austrovik-Germania

8,000

Nhoor

42,000

Pacific peace union

1,000

Ostehaar

5,000

The Office of Recruitment currently has 80,000 stamps thanks to your donations!

You don't have to be a member of the Office of Recruitment to help promote the region! All we ask is that you help us by using these simple steps. Even doing one of these tasks helps us to recruit new members.


  • Donate stamps to our recruiting account. Follow the instructions above!

  • Edit your signature page here: ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature by copy-pasting "Member of the The Western Isles" into your signature box. If you want, be creative! We want others to be excited about our region, and we want you to be comfortable with it.

  • Upvote any factbooks posted by anyone in the region, especially those that are made by officers (click the up arrow in the upper right-hand corner of the dispatch).

  • Encourage any friends to join The Western Isles, we are always willing to meet new people, especially those with connections to you.

  • Be friendly and helpful to any new nations that join The Western Isles.

  • Actively participate in the news thread, any RPs, and any regional discussions.


- Back to top -

The Western Isles Office of Recruitment

Read factbook

I ask that you upvote it, and if you are interested in any of the available offices, please telegram me. I can always use some help!

It's pretty much the same as Noronica's previous recruitment factbook mainly because I'm not creative and to ensure a smooth transition. Thank you!

A huge thanks to President supreme ruler Balnik for the 10,000 stamp donation!

Remodio wrote:A huge thanks to President supreme ruler Balnik for the 10,000 stamp donation!

Anything to expand our great empire.

Literally all these OGs joing and I'm here like °~°
Like great to have y'all back but I don't know ya

Remodio wrote:A huge thanks to President supreme ruler Balnik for the 10,000 stamp donation!

Tomorrow or the next day I'd be willing to donate maybe around 6-10k stamps.

Austrovik-Germania wrote:Literally all these OGs joing and I'm here like °~°
Like great to have y'all back but I don't know ya

Same. Just smile and nod.

Austrovik-Germania wrote:Literally all these OGs joing and I'm here like °~°
Like great to have y'all back but I don't know ya

At least you know some people

Austrovik-Germania wrote:Literally all these OGs joing and I'm here like °~°
Like great to have y'all back but I don't know ya

Yes. As Secretary of Information I feel genuinely awkward not knowing the Juicy Details of Yore 😊

Nhoor wrote:Hi and welcome! If you want to become active here, the following information may be useful. If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Welcome!

LinkHello there. Thanks for joining the Western Isles!

You must be wondering what you can do here and how, what is expected of you and how to start role-playing... I'll try to answer these questions in this dispatch.

First of all, if you haven't done so already - go ahead and introduce yourself on our regional message board (RMB). You can post things like what country you're from, if you're new to NationStates or to role-playing (RP), what kind of a nation you want to create, and anything else you'd like to share.

About the Region

Where do we communicate?

  • IC communication (in-character, meaning role-playing) is done on the NationStates forums

  • OOC communication (out-of-character, from general chatting to world-building) is done on the RMB

  • Telegrams are usually OOC

We don't have offsite forums, so you don't have to worry about missing something else.

How does this region work?

We have a democratically elected government (you can run for office) which is in-charge of several aspects of the region:

  • Facilitating RP and promoting world-building and cooperation in the region

  • Managing the region in terms of regional rules and standards

  • Recruiting new players and managing our embassies with other regions

To really understand how we do, you can read through the following dispatches when you get a chance:

  • The Constitution - It details the responsibilities of the various government officers and the Founder, as well as the processes of legislation and elections in the region. Of course, there's no need to remember it all, but it's there if you need it.

  • The Regional Rules and Conduct - That's just... The rules. You know, don't be a jerk to others, don't spam the RMB, and so on. The map rules are also there, but we'll get to that in a minute.

  • The Regional information dispatch - Contains current and updating information about the region (recent stats of the region, weekly updates, important daily events, etc.).

  • The Regional Links dispatch - Contains useful links to other regional guides or interesting dispatches (list of alliances, the regional militia, World Assembly guide, guides on RP, and more).

This is confusing... Can anyone help?

Of course, most of us can. If you still have questions, you can do either of the following:

Your address for questions regarding specific RP rules (can this be done? can I take over that? can I have that size? etc.) is the Sec. of RP (Thuzbekistan). Feel free to tag him in your RMB post or to TG him.

About Role-Playing in the Region

How do I get a spot on the map?

Our regional map is the basis of our RP, and it is therefore reserved for nations who actively engage in RP or plan to do so. Before asking a spot, please first make sure you have at least one nation-building factbook (relating to some aspect of your nation) and at least one forum post.

To be added to the map, send Vancouvia a telegram with answers to several simple questions - they are listed under "Map Rules" in the Regional Rules and Conduct dispatch. In order to stay on the map, you need to be relatively active in regional RP. nation-building dispatches or RP posts in the forums at least once week or so, should be enough.

How do I develop my nation?

Here in this region we don't use NationStates stats at all. Population, economic status, main industries, defense budget - All of those things are up to you, the player, to decide! Make factbooks or dispatches describing your nation's culture, history, religion, government, budget, climate, military, science, industries, people, corporations, trade deals, and anything else you can think of.

Are there limitations?

RP in this region is based on realism and modern-technology, so keep your nation in those limits. There are a few other guidelines we have in place to keep things balanced, for example:

If you're having trouble coming up with realistic numbers, just search Wikipedia for information on the real-world countries your nation is based on (or related to), and use that. Remember that this is an island region, and that our nations are not the largest and richest in the world - so, for instence, don't take the size and scope of the US' armed forces as an example, and don't take China's economy as an example. Try to find a realistic balance that would fit an island nation. Tip: There are no "perfect" nations - all nations have their strengths and their weaknesses. The Sec. of Role-play (Thuzbekistan) or other members of the region can help you design your nation as well.

Other than that - the limit is your own creativity. Feel free to look around and read other nations' factbooks and dispatches for ideas. See for example:

For other interesting, creative, or highly informative factbooks by members of the region, check out The Western Isles Factbook Spotlight. Take some time to look around, get to know the other players and the region as a whole, and develop your nation. I recommend doing that before getting into RP.

Alright, what now? Where do I RP?

You can get to the region's ongoing RPs and events in either of the following ways:

  • Through the "Ongoing Events and Perpetual RPs" in the region's main page

  • Through the Active RPs of the Western Isles dispatch, which contains the region's RPs

As a start, I recommend reading the recent posts in the regional news thread and posting some of your own, before moving on to more complex RPs. This would allow players of the region to get acquainted with your nation.

And of course - you can always think of your own idea for an RP based on or in your nation, and recruit or interest others to join. I also recommend checking out the region's Alliances and Trade Agreements dispatch, where you might find other nations with similar interests and players to RP with; and the region's Marketplace, where you might find storefronts and corporations seeking to expand.

NS is full of useful guides for the technical or procedural aspect or RPing. This one, for example, is short and to the point. I've also published one myself, about RPing in our region. There are many more RP guides and tip dispatches or threads around the site - feel free to explore and learn more about RPing.

As always, for any question on RPing in the region or in general, feel free to ask on the RMB or send a personal TG to the Sec. of RP or any of the active members.

Read factbook

Oh yeah would I have to wait to get on the map to post in the Ongoing Events and Perpetual RPs or can I just go for it?

Visois wrote:Oh yeah would I have to wait to get on the map to post in the Ongoing Events and Perpetual RPs or can I just go for it?

I think e.g. news and TWItter stories are ok as long as you don't include map countries yet (Aizcona?). It may take one or two weeks max to get on the map so in the meantime you can also work on your factbooks.

Austrovik-Germania wrote:Tomorrow or the next day I'd be willing to donate maybe around 6-10k stamps.

You're a saint!!

Speaking of, thanks to the capitalist wasteland great Alteran Republics for the stamps! It's much appreciated.

Does anyone operate nuclear aircraft carriers?

Serpens Land wrote:Does anyone operate nuclear aircraft carriers?

I think all the members of the MSTO have nuclear carriers, and pretty sure others do as well

Awful sorry my activity is as frequent as an eclipse.

BTW, does someone have the link to the Discord that they could TG me?

Brulafi wrote:Awful sorry my activity is as frequent as an eclipse.

BTW, does someone have the link to the Discord that they could TG me?

Gimme a sec

Athara Magarat wrote:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=487568

Putting this here again.

Is that.... Kowloon?

«12. . .22,57722,57822,57922,58022,58122,58222,583. . .22,64722,648»

Advertisement