The Republic of Deep Roads is a colossal, safe nation, notable for its ban on automobiles, public floggings, and enforced nudity. The hard-nosed, democratic, humorless population of 8.729 billion Deep Roadsians are highly moralistic and fiercely conservative, in the sense that they tend to believe most things should be outlawed. People who have good jobs and work quietly at them are lauded; others are viewed with suspicion.
The large government juggles the competing demands of Administration, Education, and Law & Order. The average income tax rate is 45.9%.
The strong Deep Roadsian economy, worth 552 trillion Double Griffons a year, is led by the Book Publishing industry, with major contributions from Retail, Woodchip Exports, and Pizza Delivery. Black market activity is frequent. State-owned companies are common. Average income is 63,336 Double Griffons, and evenly distributed, with the richest citizens earning only 3.2 times as much as the poorest.
History textbook pages are used as impromptu tissues by distraught students, bins outnumber trees in city parks, citizens are bombarded with advertising from their compulsory miniature radios, and the government response to disaster victims starving for bread is "let them eat stale cake". Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Deep Roads's national animal is the Griffon, which is also the nation's favorite main course.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Deep Roads's influence in Artificial Solar System rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Deep Roads's influence in Artificial Solar System rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Deep Roads's influence in Artificial Solar System rose from "Unproven" to "Hatchling".
- : Deep Roads's influence in Artificial Solar System rose from "Zero" to "Unproven".
- : Deep Roads relocated from Colonies of space to Artificial Solar System.
- : Deep Roads applied to join the World Assembly.
- : Deep Roads's influence in Colonies of space rose from "Diplomat" to "Ambassador".
- : Deep Roads's influence in Colonies of space rose from "Envoy" to "Diplomat".
- : Deep Roads's influence in Colonies of space rose from "Duckspeaker" to "Envoy".
- : Deep Roads's influence in Colonies of space rose from "Handshaker" to "Duckspeaker".