The Republic of Edith is a massive, orderly nation, renowned for its complete lack of prisons, otherworldly petting zoo, and free-roaming dinosaurs. The hard-nosed, cynical population of 1.603 billion Edithans are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."
The large, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Education, and Environment. The average income tax rate is 56.1%, and even higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but inefficient Edithan economy, worth 60.9 trillion dollars a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is quite specialized, is led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Tourism, Cheese Exports, and Basket Weaving. Average income is 37,964 dollars, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Crime suspects are forced to submit to blood testing, the alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit, elderly citizens regularly buy posh multimillion-dollar mansions, and it is illegal to distribute Girl Guide Cookies without an advanced food hygiene diploma. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Edith's national animal is the butterfly, which soars majestically through the nation's famously clear skies.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Edith's influence in The North Pacific fell from "Sprat" to "Minnow".
- : Edith was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Beautiful Environments.
- : Edith was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Authoritarian.
- : Edith resigned from the World Assembly.
- : Edith was endorsed by The Kingdom of Test for a new hope.
- : Edith was endorsed by North altatude.
- : Edith was endorsed by The United States of Conservadoria.
- : Edith was endorsed by The People's Republic of Vernest Quill.
- : Edith was endorsed by Helia geopes.
- : Edith was endorsed by The NationStates Nation of Loli County.