The Peopledom of Soem is a gargantuan, efficient nation, ruled by Pyt Snarkulton with a fair hand, and remarkable for its museums and concert halls, national health service, and devotion to social welfare. The compassionate, democratic, cheerful population of 25.691 billion Soemeosy are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whomever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.
The medium-sized government prioritizes Education, although Environment, Welfare, and Industry are also considered important, while Defense and Law & Order are ignored. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Snark City. The average income tax rate is 9.0%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The frighteningly efficient Soemeon economy, worth a remarkable 3,242 trillion Ideas a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a large, well-organized, extremely specialized black market in Information Technology. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is an impressive 126,217 Ideas, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
It is illegal to distribute Girl Guide Cookies without an advanced food hygiene diploma, no one believes anything until it has been strenuously tested and peer-reviewed, a light facial coating of soot is seen as the mark of an honest and hardworking man, and the government regularly hires contractors to construct high rise apartments. Crime, especially youth-related, is so common that it is unusual to encounter someone following the law, perhaps because of the country's complete lack of prisons. Soem's national animal is the Snark, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Soem, the government regularly hires contractors to construct high rise apartments.
- : Following new legislation in Soem, a light facial coating of soot is seen as the mark of an honest and hardworking man.
- : Following new legislation in Soem, no one believes anything until it has been strenuously tested and peer-reviewed.
- : Following new legislation in Soem, it is illegal to distribute Girl Guide Cookies without an advanced food hygiene diploma.
- : Following new legislation in Soem, the government's foreign policy statements are less threatening than a World Assembly cease-and-desist letter.
- : Soem endorsed The Baggy-Eyed Exonians of Heliseum.
- : Soem was endorsed by The Baggy-Eyed Exonians of Heliseum.
- : Following new legislation in Soem, it's a long jump to get onto the housing ladder.
- : Following new legislation in Soem, the volume of paperwork used to complete a single environmental assessment defeats the purpose.
- : Following new legislation in Soem, Pyt Snarkulton's media campaigns take a hiatus around exam week.
Endorsements Received: 161 » Fudgetopia, Bergenu, Curlyhoward, Theorin, Bear Connors Paradiso, Tsunamy, Kiasu-ism, Drugged Monkeys, Ancient Slobovia, Seliyan progressive Islands, Great Scapula, Farengeto, Kringalia, Sandaoguo, Belschaft, Quiescent, Pencil Sharpeners 2, FreeFishers, Transtemporal Shifts, The United Expanse, The Solar System Scope, Luddinlande, Techganet, GI-Land, Erinor, PEPEP, Trinennie, Pax Dracon, Poopisiya, Auphelia, Oxsania, Moreana, Si-topia, Linguiniland, Centristvill, Iristead, Noveos, Lambdaland, Jehenna, Nowa Europa, Concrete Slab, Aidenfieeld, Little Pontanja, Seldon and the Psychohistorians, Hanguk-Nippon, Rebel-topia, Farelonia, KIROVET, Tsvetania, Gymnostan, and 111 others.Wyatonians, Vincent Field, Darakin, Native Inhabitants of Antarctica, Freedwanda, Silmad, Larenien, Aywhyou, United States of Vietnam, La Ascension, Escevola, Volaworand, Sedunn, 073 039 109 032 080 111 112 112 121, Lotadia, Nova Montron, Rhetiaa, Saciu, New Briantown, Nankyoku Tairiku, Calistan, Jaxon, Great Andora, Paranoia, North Kanuckistan, Aumeltopia, Beepee, Elveka, Isokenzar, UnShleepd, Silberne Wache, The National Corporation, South Poleande, Anachronolandia, Agalaesia, Shengtie, Barabarom, The Technocrates, Aguatania, Liberated Lambergs, Grouu, Abarri, Cuuldere, USNE2018, Rosamie, Awjan, Lorora3, Lichenitza, Rabbitz, Kandorith, Direwolf1, Darbor, Phanama, The Filippinas, The Canadian Republic Colonies, Farrts, Kroumos, Midand, The Libertarian Nation of Songrandine, Qvait, Birdkeeper, Mikole, North Erfton, Herbert Island, Stoniamera, Maletora, Ariankido, Land Without Shrimp, North Prarie, Jahass, Federated Kingdoms of Brittania, Wehraboos, Academy of Umbrellas, Xandev, The Dragon Enclave, Ostanasia, Whimichy, North Catimestistrianes, Staubsaugen, A Frog Dimension, P R of China, Akindom, Crystal Creation, Choodox, Freedoom, Plasitades, Dasko, San Anaben, Slenrotros, Mew Nation, New Lousara, Changolandia, FiHami, Qawe, Maeiland, Churumduul, Novagentum, Chocholand, The West Valley Mountains, Dereistic, Maxolonia, Doomen, Roavin, PenguinPies, Pays de Loire, Amerion, Wild Space, Great Africans, Violent Peacenicks, Hanty, and Heliseum.